A POS or Point of Sale refers to the place where buyers make the payment for any product or service they have purchased at your store. So, each time a customer pays for any order, a POS transaction gets completed. The POS is the central component of all businesses as this is where inventory, sales, and customer management will merge.
Get started with the Shopify POS to unify your online business
- An effective POS will go a long way in ensuring that your business operations run smoothly. You can accept credit cards at any time from any place with a POS. Since you can give buyers the advantage of making payments on-the-go, you can sell your products everywhere your buyers are going.
- You get to track the credit and debit card payments through an external card terminal.
- You can even split tenders, accepting multiple forms of payment for one transaction. For instance, you allow customers to use both cash and credit cards for payment, or even multiple credit cards for one payment.
- You may offer gift cards to buyers that can be redeemed either online or at the store. These gift cards can be emailed to buyers or printed.
- It is possible to accept orders even if you are offline. It means, that if you place an order when there is no Internet connectivity, that order will be automatically synced the next time you log into Shopify. The POS will let you store credit rather than doing refunds.
- Shopify POS lets you enjoy custom payment options like IOUs, gold coins, and cheques.
- You get to accept partial payments too, as you have the flexibility to allow layaways or deposits for orders.
- With a POS you can monitor special requests through notes attached to orders.
- You can even record buyer shipping address details for orders.
- The biggest advantage of a POS is that your customers can place orders through a tablet or smartphone. There is no need for physical checkout counters anymore.
- You get to create customized line items and assign prices.
- You may customize emails and printed receipts, the store URL, promotions, and store policies.
Things to Remember When You Install Shopify POS:
Shopify POS is an app that you can install on both Android and iOS devices, and which lets you conduct transactions just as you would in a regular store. So, you can search for products, process orders, accept payments, swipe credit cards, produce receipts, and enjoy complete control over all these functions from any mobile device or an iPad.
- To start using the POS, you must first install the app. If you already have an account with Shopify, you can simply log in using your credentials. The app automatically loads the store products. If you do not have an account yet, you can opt for the free 14-day trial to get started. The Shopify store functions as the backend of this POS system. So, you can handle the client information, the Shopify account, and product inventory from the Shopify Admin that is accessible from just any browser.
- Besides the app, you are going to need other retail hardware like a cash drawer, receipt printer, iPad stand, barcode scanner, etc. However, processing sales without these is also possible as long as you have a mobile or tablet, a Shopify store, and the POS app.
You will need this hardware for your Shopify store
- You can merge the Shopify store with the POS to run the whole business from a single dashboard. It means that all inventory updates made in the Shopify admin will automatically be replicated on the POS.
- While there is no limit on the number of products that you can upload, there are limits on the number that can be in the catalog as the POS system can face performance issues. If you have not added products to the POS, they are not going to show up in the app.
- If you wish to change the availability of any product, you must choose it from the Products catalog and edit the availability by selecting Only POS. This way, you can make products available on the Shopify POS only. In case you wish for products to be available in bulk, you must select All Products from the Product menu or check the required boxes of products. You are also free to uncheck or check any box to change the sales medium for each product.
- When you are adding products to the Shopify Admin, it is possible to decide whether you wish to make these available online, in-store, or in both.
- Shopify POS may be used all over the world, but your store has to be located in a country in which Shopify has credit card providers.