Just like any creative act, writing can and should bring us joy. The sense of satisfaction, meaningfulness, the flight of imagination, the sense of purpose, in the end, – all of it makes writing pleasurable. It does not mean your writing must be perfect or come out without a single mistake in the first draft. The key peculiarity here is enjoyment.
If you still don’t delight in writing or find it a heavy burden, there is something to be done with the way you view the process of writing. Surely, it can be quite different, depending on the reason you write, the genre which you are working in, the requirements, and limitations you must follow. Oh, how we dread those ‘must’! When you are young, ambitious, full of goals, it seems that there is nothing worse in this world than ‘a must’ and it makes you wanna escape.
Despite those rebellious, yet truthful observations, ‘musts’ are often good for us. Including ‘musts’ in academic writing. In simple words, they train our willpower, teach us endurance, patience, and the ability to admit our mistakes. Academic writing is, on the one hand, more limited than other genres of writing, but, on the other hand, much more demanding. So how do you get yourself motivated to write a decent paper in the academic style?
Read on, if you’re willing to find answers.
Simple-As-a-Day Motivation Boosters for Getting Down to Academic Writing
- Decide to be dedicated to writing. Taking the time you set for yourself, be persistent in what you aim at. 400 words, 1 literature source, 15 minutes. Set the boundaries that you’re comfortable with and stick to them!
- Do not pretend like you don’t need help. You might have not expected it as a tip to raise your motivation, but using the outer writing help can make you feel less stressed about the paper and give fresh insights about it. Just a few words, like ‘write my paper’ can alter the situation. The great example of a trustworthy service is WriteMyPaperHub – with around 500 active essay writers, the broad spectrum of written assignments types, and moderate pricing. So it’s better to admit your weakness and use professional paper writing help than shy away from the problem and get zero.
- Allow yourself to write terribly. Nobody has ever created something worthy from the very first try. A few of your initial drafts may, and, most likely, will look unattractive. The point is that you should quit being a perfectionist and fight the reality like Don Quixote used to fight windmills. It doesn’t matter if your writing will not be neat enough or embedded in pretty words. Take your messy ideas and work at them until they become a masterpiece.
- Reduce your ‘To-Do’ list by half. Seriously. You won’t cut the mustard if you will attempt to carry out dozens of tasks daily. We’re sure that you can do well without walking your mom’s dog, washing all the windows in your flat, and monitoring price changes. Just get rid of the unimportant tasks that leave you weak and steal the time.
- Hang out with people who write well. It’s a well-known fact that spending time around thriving people makes you become just like them. It is not some kind of magical effect, it’s more about adopting certain lifestyles of triumph. Moreover, they, most probably, talk about many useful things and you have great chances to discover a lot of new things or receive meaningful advice!
- Challenge yourself with higher level work. By recording your previous results, asking for feedback from the people you trust, your brain receives a view of something greater. After collecting such data, look it through once again and make a 200% effort to outperform yourself.
- Make yourself feel excited. This advice might belong to the category ‘Fake it until you make it’, but who said it is bad? In reality, if you get really interested in something and act accordingly, you can’t help but really become passionate about what you do. Bringing in some variety might help a lot – for example, writing at night rather than in the daytime, taking a laptop to the park and working right there. Switch on imagination and go on!
- Purchase a nice calendar for tracking dates. Some students find it less threatening to look into the future when the calendar looks great. In general, the design of your whole apartment (or re-design) would be a wonderful tool for finding motivation.
Now, when you’ve got so powerful ‘motivation instruments’ in your hand, try them out on the very first essay writing task you will encounter. Good luck!